15 Monumental things you MUST do in Downtown Indy
This is the mother of all other bucket lists out there. This is your MUST do list if you live, work or play in Downtown Indy. The Monumental 15 things that all the cool kids are doing. How many can you check off the list? Download your checklist! (PDF)
1. Take a Gondola Ride on the Downtown Canal Walk
You’ll find the Old World Gondoliers serenading their passengers during the warmer months on the Downtown Canal Walk.
2. Spin around The Eagle’s Nest at the Hyatt Regency
Revolve around enjoying a panoramic view of the sparkling city at the Eagle’s Nest.
3. Attend a game of EACH of the Downtown Indy sports teams
4. Visit the Shrine Room at the Indiana War Memorial
The Shrine Room at the Indiana War Memorial is free, open to the public and is truly awe inspiring.
5. Climb to the top of the Indiana Soldiers & Sailors Monument
Climb the steps to the top for free or take the elevator to the observation deck at the Indiana Soldiers and Sailors Monument for a fantastic view of Monument Circle.
6. Explore the Catacombs at City Market
Creep around in the catacombs beneath historic Indianapolis City Market. Tours are available.
7. Taste the heat of St. Elmo Shrimp Cocktail
Tears will be shed, but they are tears of joy as you consume the spiciest St. Elmo’s has to offer.
8. Enjoy a Concert on the Lawn at White River State Park
No summer is complete without at least one visit to the Farm Bureau Insurance Lawn at White River State Park.
9. Celebrate at Circle of Lights
Indiana’s FAVORITE holiday tradition, Circle of Lights presented by Quality Connection and IBEW #481 is a must-see in person.
10. Duckpin Bowling in Fountain Square
Take a step back in time to the 1950s with Atomic Duckpin Bowling at the Fountain Square Theatre Building.
11. Sleep in a train car at Historic Union Station
These may look like train cars, but they are awesome hotel rooms inside Crowne Plaza at Historic Union Station.
12. Gussy up for Zoobilation
Putting the FUN in fundraising, get wild at the Zoobilation gala each June at the Indianapolis Zoo with proceeds benefiting animal conservation.
13. Run, walk, ride the Indianapolis Cultural Trail
Grab a Pacers Bikeshare and connect to six different Cultural Districts in Downtown Indy.
14. Attend IndyPride Parade and Festival
One of the largest pride festivals in the Midwest takes place right here in Indianapolis.
15. The Indianapolis 500
I saved the best for last. 2016 marks the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500. If you haven’t been to the race, this is the year to go! You’ll want to camp out in Downtown Indy the entire month of May, it’s full of epic things to do. Other must-dos in May include the 500 Festival parade (consistently rated one of the top three parades in the nation) and the 500 Festival Mini Marathon.
That rounds out the 15 Monumental Things To Do. But there is so much to do in Downtown Indy! What do you think is missing from the list? What is a must-do in Downtown Indianapolis?