Go on an adventure at White River State Park
When working up your list of day-time things to do, White River State Park’s attractions are a must.
- At the Indianapolis Zoo, meet the babies including baby orangutan Mila, intelligent Azy and Katy and baby giraffe Mshangao. Escape to a tropical paradise in the three-acre Butterfly Kaleidoscope at Hilbert Conservatory opening March 16. Don’t miss Easter fun at the Zoo March 31 & April 1.
- The Indiana State Museum invites everyone to race Pinewood Derby cars down the two-story, 125-foot race track and watch them speed across the finish line. The track will be open to the public all week with the official race Saturday, April 7. Discover the abstract works from Indiana local, Lois Main Templeton through A Reinvented Life exhibit. See how she integrates stories onto her canvases and blends her two passions, art and literature, in her own unique way. Check out the Power of Poison before it ends April 22.
- Take a virtual vacation at IMAX Theatre and see Tomb Raider, a story about a young girl named Laura and her treacherous quest to find her father. Beginning March 22, see Pacific Rim Uprising, the ultimate stand-off between Jaeger pilots and otherworldly monsters built solely for destruction. Don’t miss Hurricane 3D March 31.
- The Reel West exhibit at the Eiteljorg Museum explores the impact of Hollywood films on America’s identity depicted in Western film. Some of the on-going programming features art, photographs, objects and interactive experiences.
- Come back April 6 for the Indianapolis Indians season opener at Victory Field. Bike to the Ballpark and follow Mayor Joe Hogsett as he leads bikers to Victory Field to kick-off the first game of the season.
- In between museum visits, take a walk on the Canal or try a guided Segway tour through White River State Park.
Go for a bike ride with Wheel Fun Rentals and choose from several options including a Quad Sport, Chopper, Deuce Coupe, Surrey, City Bicycle and more.
Make it a staycation and spend the night Downtown at one of many hotels.
Visit Downtown Indy’s museums and attractions
Head to The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis to check out the newest permanent exhibit: Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience opening March 17. Be awed by 12 outside exhibits and 3 indoor exhibits. Play baseball on a replica of Victory Field, football on the Colts field, basketball with the Fever and more. Take a ride down the Willy Wonka inspired Chocolate Slide and catch Pinocchio in the Lilly Theater on various days from 1 – 1:45 p.m. and 3 – 3:45 p.m.
Clown around at the Indiana Historical Society for the FREE Circus DayMarch 24. See the Hampel Family Circus, live animal shows, clowns, magicians, jugglers, face painting and more. Visit the new Indianapolis Colts: The Exhibit.
Check out FREE activities taking place at the Central Library:
Enjoy a band, crafts and the Presidential Egg Roll at the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site March 24 from 9 – 10:30 a.m. Get your photos taken with the Bunny at Circle Centre Mall through March 31.
Catch Downtown’s Spring Performances
The Indiana Repertory Theatre hosts multiple performances including The Town Mouse and The Country Mouse, Appoggiatura, a romantic adventure filled with pain and love set in the beautiful city of Venice and Looking Over the President’s Shoulder, an uplifting memoir based in White House as Chief Butler serves Hoover, Roosevelt, Truman and Eisenhower.
Hilbert Circle Theatre performances include Sibelius Symphony No. 5, Side-By-Side, and The Sounds of Simon & Garfunkel, a tribute featuring Simon & Garfunkel’s greatest hits.
At Old National Centre, save on upcoming shows using the code “SPRINGBREAK” for the More Fun with a Plus 1 BOGO sale through March 11.
Watch as powerhouse P!NK lights up Bankers Life Fieldhouse March 17 on her Beautiful Trauma World Tour 2018.
Catch The Sleeping Beauty at Peewinkle’s Puppet Studio March 29 – April 14. Head to Newfields April 7 for Cereal Cinema showing The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.
Sports action Downtown
Monster Energy Supercross, a FIM World Championship, is the premier off-road motorcycle racing circuit in the world. On March 24, Lucas Oil Stadium will be hosting this event with doors opening at 11:30 a.m.
Head over to the Indiana University Natatorium to watch the NCAA Division III Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships. This exciting event takes place March 21 – 24.
It would be hard to spend a vacation in Downtown Indy without catching at least one game. The Pacers are at home March 19, 23, & 25 and April 5.
Catch the Indy Eleven at Lucas Oil Stadium March 31 at 7 p.m.
Just for fun
Head to Indiana Comic Con at the Indiana Convention Center March 30 – April 1. Get autographs from Sean Austin, Matthew Lewis, David Harbour and more.
Enjoy an amazing, mind-bending experience at the Mind Tripping Show every Friday or Saturday inside the Hilton Indianapolis Hotel.