Go on an adventure at White River State Park
When working up your list of day-time things to do, White River State Park’s attractions are a must. Purchase a Park Pass
which includes admission vouchers into six attractions with more than 25 percent off the regular adult and child prices.
- At the Indianapolis Zoo, meet the babies including baby orangutan Mila, Greater Kudu Jelani and Tootsie and baby giraffe Mshangao. Escape to a tropical paradise in the three-acre Butterfly Kaleidoscope at Hilbert Conservatory opening March 17.
- The Indiana State Museum invites everyone to race Pinewood Derby cars down the two-story, 125-foot race track and watch them speed across the finish line. The track will be open to the public all week with the official race Saturday, April 1. Discover the mastodons and mammoths that were Indiana’s last native giants through the Ice Age Graveyards exhibit. See how the remains of these pre-historic beasts are uncovered. Check out the Eco-Science Fair April 7, too.
- Take a virtual vacation at IMAX Theatre and see National Parks Adventure 3D, the ultimate off-trail adventure into the nation’s awe-inspiring great outdoors. Beginning March 16, see Disney’sBeauty and the Beast. The Indiana State Museum will host a preshow Disney-themed costume and tea party starting at 10 a.m. March 18.
- The Dogs: Faithful and True exhibit at the Eiteljorg Museum explores the enduring presence and contributions of dogs as companions, workers and heroes. Some of the on-going programming features art, photographs, objects and interactive experiences.
- Come back April 6 for the Indianapolis Indians season opener at Victory Field.
- In between museum visits, take a walk on the Canal or try a guided Segway tour through White River State Park. (Discount coupon included with Park Pass.)
Make it a staycation and spend the night Downtown at one of our many hotels.
Visit Downtown Indy’s museums and attractions
Head to The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis to check out the newest exhibit: Circus: Starring YOU! Kids will learn the history of the circus, be awed by skilled performers and become a performer themselves trying juggling, walking a virtual tightrope and more. Take a ride down the Willy Wonka inspired Chocolate Slide and catch The Jungle Book in the Lilly Theater on various days from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Clown around at the Indiana Historical Society for the FREE Circus Day March 25. See the Hampel Family Circus, live animal shows, clowns, magicians, jugglers, face painting and more.
Also check out FREE activities taking place at the Central Library:
Catch Downtown’s Spring Performances
The Indiana Repertory Theatre hosts several performances including: Boeing Boeing, a romantic comedy set in the swinging sixties; Miranda, a psychological mystery based in the Middle East and everyone’s favorite mouse, Stuart Little.
Hilbert Circle Theatre performances include Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, Music in 3D Featuring Dance Kaleidoscope and Sci-Fi Spectacular, a tribute to the 50th anniversary of Stark Trek.
At Old National Centre experience Broadway in Indianapolis’ Motown the Musical, the true American dream story of Motown founder Berry Gordy’s journey from featherweight boxer to the heavyweight music mogul.
Try some parent/child bonding over Bon Jovi at Bankers Life Fieldhouse March 22 or Stevie Nicks March 29.
Catch Cinderella at Peewinkle’s Puppet Studio March 23 – April 15. Head to the Indianapolis Museum of Art April 1 for Cereal Cinema showing Follow That Bird.
Sports action Downtown
Monster Energy Supercross, a FIM World Championship, is the premier off-road motorcycle racing circuit in the world. On March 18, Lucas Oil Stadium will be hosting this event with doors opening at noon.
Head over to the Indiana State Fairgrounds to watch the NCAA Fencing Championships for the first time ever in Indianapolis. This exciting event is taking place March 23 – 26.
It would be hard to spend a vacation in Downtown Indy without catching at least one game. The Pacers are at home March 20, 24, 26 & 28 and April 4, 6 & 12.
Just for fun
If the kids are extra good over break, take them to Chocolate Fest at the Indianapolis Artsgarden April 8. Enjoy an amazing, mind-bending experience with the Mind Tripping Show every Friday or Saturday inside the Hilton Indianapolis Hotel.