This page is your one-stop index (with links) for everything you need to know about Downtown’s Recovery Committee and our message: Back Downtown.
DOWNTOWN RECOVERY COMMITTEE
JULY: Downtown Indy, Inc. launched a critical effort to spur Downtown’s sustainability and raise community support for Downtown. The Downtown Recovery Committee is made up of leaders representing businesses large and small, private and public, including minority and Black-owned businesses to address the economic challenges of COVID-19, as well as social and racial inequity. Efforts are already taking shape to significantly fund short- and long-term strategies around safety/security, homelessness, cleanliness of Downtown, and then marketing. Learn more about the work they’re undertaking and find a handy flow chart HERE.
Or click here for a simple one-pager on the DRC mission, objectives and key tasks.
$750,000 COMMITTED TO DOWNTOWN SAFETY & SECURITY
AUGUST: The City of Indianapolis is providing $750,000 to Downtown Indy, Inc for safety and security enhancements to the Mile Square area of Downtown. Based on priorities identified by the Downtown Recovery Committee, see how the funding is being allocated HERE. And read about weekly Committee updates HERE.
PROGRESS IS HAPPENING
- As of today, 35 officers are on staff. The new schedule of eight officers each day Monday – Friday between 8 a.m. – 9 p.m. is underway.
- Foot/bike patrol hours have increased from about 20 hours per week to 100 hours minimum each week.
- Four new Safety Ambassadors have been hired, who will work in partnership with the IMPD Cadets. The Ambassadors are in the process of being trained and will be visible on the streets with Cadets seven-days a week in mid-September.
- There is currently a mobile camera deployed on the Canal which has proven effective for deterring crime. The purchase of additional cameras is being pursued.
- Read more HERE.
- Check for weekly Committee updates HERE.
INTRODUCING BACK DOWNTOWN – RECOVERY MESSAGING CAMPAIGN
AUGUST/SEPTEMBER: Downtown Indy, Inc., in partnership with Section 127, unveiled a new messaging campaign to encourage residents to patronize Downtown businesses and reinvigorate Downtown pride: Back Downtown. (See a brief video.)
This concept serves as a rallying cry and inspires residents to discover Downtown again. It promotes the interconnection of all Downtown residents/attractions and the power of a united front. Downtown IS a thriving place. Play, eat, shop Back Downtown. A marketing and social media campaign is underway, thanks to the generous support of many of our professional sports teams and private donors, including Section 127 and Sport Graphics.
BACK DOWNTOWN WEEKLY VIDEO SERIES & SOCIAL MEDIA TOOLKIT
SEPTEMBER: This series of videos will take you behind the scenes of Downtown’s best restaurants, bars, attractions and favorite hot spots. Additionally, all businesses are invited to get the word out and encourage your customers to come #BackDowntownIndy. Download the social media toolkit here.
RECOVERY COMMITTEE WEEKLY VIDEOS
SEPTEMBER: Each week a new video will share the latest progress on Downtown’s recovery.
Can’t find something? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.